Slide Show


Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving 09

(Turn Up the volume on your speaker and enjoy my music)

We had a great time during the holidays. The only thing that could have been better is Lana and her family being here. Holidays get really hectic when the family grows and we have had to learn to share and to make the best of the day even when it is not perfect.

When Bud and I lived in Leoti, Kansas several hundred miles from family we really learned what "Family" and holidays meant. Our next door neighbor who was a sweet friend and the mother of 9 sons invited us for Thanksgiving dinner. Several of her sons and family would be there and she knew we were alone. Lana was 3 and Jana 5 months. Loppy ( as the girls called her) fell in love with our little girls. Her invitation was such a nice gesture but it wasn't the Thanksgiving we were use to. First of all the dressing was terrible. Maybe this is why Lana never developed a taste for dressing. In the north the dressing is made from different ingredients than my mothers Cornbread dressing. Instead of apple pie we had rubarb pie. Yukky I thought. It was really pretty good if you added enough ice cream but it wasn't mother's or granny Hogan's Pecan Pie. And, one of the worst things about the day. Texas A & M versus Texas Longhorns was not on our Television Cable and neither was the Dallas Cowboys. How could you celebrate the birth of this Great Country without Texas A & M, Dallas Cowboys, Cornbread Dressing and Pecan Pie. I remember Bud saying at the end of the day. If there is any way possible we will always drive to one of our Families for the Holidays. And for the most part we did. I remember more than one snowy icy Christmas that we spent on the road to Granny Hogan because we thought that was the thing to do. Note..I didn't say it was the thing to do but "we thought" it was the thing to do.

TRADITION reminds me of Fiddler On The Roof one of my favorite movies of all times.
TEVYE & PAPAS sings:
"Who, day and night, must scramble for a living,
Feed a wife and children, say his daily prayers?
And who has the right, as master of the house,"
To have the final word at home? And then he sings, "
[TEVYE]
Tradition, tradition! Tradition!
Tradition, tradition! Tradition!
Traditions

We all have our traditions but we have learned to adjust when everything is not perfect. Jana and her family came and yes, we had cornbread dressing, sweet potatoes, and pecan pie. We had Texas A & M Football played lots of Joker (this is a tradition that we have started the past several years that my family loves). But, we missed the extended family because they are so much a part of our tradition.

Last Sunday I heard my friend Bryan Burgess preach on the radio as I was in the car on a short trip. He told the story of William Bradford who was the governor of Plymouth, Mass. He helped to establish the first Thanksgiving. Bryans telling of the life of William Bradford helped me to focus on what is really important about Thanksgiving and why we celebrate. It is not about Cornbread Dressing or Texas A & M. It is an amazing story and you can read about William Bradford here. I encourage you to go and read his story. His parents died when he was very young. He became a Christian at age 12 and lost his inheirtance. I am thankful for our ancestors who loved God and Country enough to live and die that we could be free to form our own Traditions. Traditions are OK as long as we keep them in perspective.

I get a devotional from a school teacher in Crane, Texas. Her prayer for Thanksgiving has become my prayer. Did you pray for the food on Thanksgiving? There is so much more that we should be thankful for.

Lest we forget:

Thursday November 26, 2009

Daily Devotional by Melinda Clements/ Perceptions Ministry

Copyright (C) by Melinda Clements/ Nov 2009/All Rights Reserved


Thank You, Lord!

I thank you for this day, my Precious Lord, for who you are and who I can be through you. I thank You for the precious blood of Jesus that took my sin and for you loving me enough to help me change.
I thank you this day, for this country and all the freedoms it represents and for each and every leader who turns to God in waking moments and ask in reverent prayer what he can do to make this country better.
I thank you this day for every man and woman who serves this country in the military who fights each day to protect me and the freedoms I enjoy. I thank You for their families and the commitments and sacrifices they have made so I can pray and do all the things I like to do.
I thank you this day for my family, each and every one; for my home, my job and my community and those who touch my life each and every day. I thank You for my life and the trials and tribulations that have made me-me!

I thank You this day for my health and the fact I live in a nation where there are doctors who work to help me stay healthy. For my wealth that is not measured in money or possessions but measured in the friends, family and God I am so blessed to share; I thank You this day for the food I partake in every day to nourish by body.

For all the blessings and miracles that take place in my life each day that I do not even recognize but are in place to make me a better person and my world a better place.
I love You, Lord--Spread blessings to those less fortunate and help me to realize the cross I bear is never as heavy as someone else's. Help me to see that things could always be worse. Help me to see You in each and every situation and to know there is nothing You and I cannot handle together. Amen.

Traditions are OK but let's add another one. Being thankful for what is really important in life.
Happy Fall Ya'll and get ready for some Christmas traditions.


No comments: